On Religion

As my son has completed his First Communion this past week, it occurs to me that perhaps religion is a topic I should discuss. Now, I am sure I run the risk of offending someone.  I'll either offend my religious friends for not being religious enough or I'll offend my non-religious friends for being too pro-God. Either way, my intention is not to offend, but rather to explore my thoughts on the subject.

I'll start by saying that I believe in God.  And, I have experienced a few miracles of my own that make me believe that there is something bigger than us all.  However, I also believe that God allows us to create our own miracles.  If He did not, we would not have such amazing doctors, nurses, and caregivers in the world.

And although I believe in God, I cannot say that I am a very good church-goer.  I go sometimes.  I feel as though I should go more often than I do.  I take Summers off.  And during this time of First Communion prep, I felt as though I needed some time off.  Too many weeks in a row of church and I start to feel a little like a pot of boiling water with the lid on - just a bit like I need to get out and take a break.

I was raised Lutheran, and for all intents and purposes, I am now Episcopal.  But really, does it matter? They are very similar, and I chose my current church and my past church based on each church's tolerance of people. I am glad to say that both my current church and the one I went to in Baltimore believe that it does not matter who you love, what your ethnicity is, or what questions you have.  This is important to me.

I think, and perhaps my parents will refute this, that I was given a religious upbringing - meaning I received all the rites and education along with them (Baptism, Communion, Confirmation, etc.) - so that I would be able to make an informed choice in my adult life as to what I wanted to do.  This is why I have chosen to provide my own children with religion.  It is not because I think they have to be Episcopal, but rather I would like them to be exposed to something, and then they can choose for themselves.

I am comfortable with people of all religions and spiritual beliefs.  My personal belief is that God provided each of us with a brain for a reason.  He also provided each of us with a heart.  Our job is to use our brain and our heart to make the world a better place for our children and our children's children.  And each of us has the ability to do this in our own special way.

For some, this task seems easy. And for some, it is difficult to know what our purpose is.  We all have one though.

It is easy to say "things happen for a reason" when someone you know has some tragedy you cannot explain. But, I actually believe that things happen for a reason.  While I would not wish my accident on anyone, I do believe some incredibly good things have come from it.  And, I've seen incredibly good things come from other tragic events in the lives of those around me.  The potential for good doesn't mean it's an easy path... It means we have to look harder - It's there.

So thank you for allowing me time to talk about this sensitive topic.  As said before, my intention was not to offend, only to discuss.  I love that I have the ability to think, to impact other people, to move through my world with purpose.  Perhaps I do not fully understand what that purpose is, but I am okay with that - I'm confident that I'll figure it out.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked