On Getting and Being Better

Just this past weekend, I watched a really awesome Ted Talk from Jane McGonigal.  She, like me, had a traumatic brain injury.  What she did to help herself is quite fascinating.

Without giving too much away (because really, you should watch it), I'll say that her explanations of post-traumatic growth, building resilience, and ways to achieve it made me think of the ways I've helped myself since the accident:

1.  Physical Resilience:  For me, this is going to the gym.  I went to the gym prior to the accident.  In fact, it is one of the things that my doctors believed allowed my body to heal so quickly from such traumatic injury. And now, it helps my body and my brain continue to heal.  Other benefits include being able to handle stress more easily, greater stamina throughout the day, and of course, looking better in a bikini (can't not include that).  As with everything, I work hard for a reason.  All of these benefits are my reasons.

2.  Emotional Resilience:  I understand how someone with my kinds of injuries could very easily get mired in feeling sorry for herself.  Fortunately, I have been able to get past that.  I think this is partially due to my nature - meaning, I'm generally a happy person (rainbows and unicorns anyone?) who looks on the positive side. But, I believe that in this experience I have also chosen to be grateful - for my life, for the people who've made my life possible, for my children, for the little things that I get to experience on a daily basis - actually, for getting to experience anything for that matter.  Being grateful may come to me somewhat naturally, but on really hard days, I have to choose it.  I know that being bitter and angry about my experiences will do nothing for me moving forward.  I know that I cannot have a good life, in whatever way life hands itself to me, if I cannot be happy with what I have, with what I'm given, and for the people who care for me.  And if I cannot be happy with those things, I will not ever be able to lead a productive and worthwhile life.  That is not acceptable to me. So, I choose to be grateful.

3. Social resilience:  I have always been a social person. I prefer the company of people over being alone. I like meeting new people.  I believe that I can learn something interesting from each new person I meet - and I try to do that. (This pains my introvert friends).  I spent a long time in the hospital.  The hospital can be a lonely and scary place, even with all the people constantly around.  Fortunately, a lot of my family and friends came to visit, sent me messages, or called me.  And since I've been home, that hasn't changed.  I make time for my family.  I make time for my friends.  I make time for playing with my children.  And they all make time for me.  Nothing fills me with greater joy than being around people I love, even if its only for a couple of minutes.

4. Mental resilience: I am a nerd.  Once upon a time, I would have denied it - like it's a bad thing. Not anymore.  I am a nerd and I love that about me.  I like reading and learning new things. I like writing and sharing my thoughts.  I have even been playing Ms. McGonigal's game SuperBetter.  It's pretty cool.  I enjoy using my brain. I am so lucky to have one.  I have the benefit of understanding just how lucky I am to have a working brain, so I plan to use it - a lot!

After watching Jane McGonigal's Ted Talk, it made me feel like I was on the right path.  I am doing the things that not only make me feel better, but are probably helping to heal my brain as well. Not a bad deal.

And here's one of the things I liked best about her talk - she said you didn't have to have a traumatic injury to have this type of growth!  So, I wish all of you growth - with no injuries!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked