On Experiences That I'm Glad to Have

So, it turns out that changing 40 some pairs tights, dance shoes, and costumes is really good hand therapy. Who would've guessed that I would find myself working my hand while trying desperately to quick-change dance recital girls in order to get them to the stage for their next dance.  But, that's exactly what I did this past Saturday.

My daughter's very first dance Showcase was this weekend, and on Saturday I volunteered to be a backstage mom and help in the dressing room.  I had no idea what this entailed. I knew what the duties were, but what was really required - that was another thing altogether.  Herding cats, at times, would have been easier.

But, even though it was hard work, and I didn't get to sit quietly in the audience to watch the performance, I am so grateful that I was able to do it.  I kept thinking to myself as I buckled yet another tap shoe, "wow, if this Showcase had been in the Fall, I would have missed it!"  Or worse, "if I hadn't made it or if I was not as functional as I am, I wouldn't have ever gotten to do these things."

And next weekend is Simon's First Communion.  Prepping for that was a lot of work too. I couldn't believe the parental homework.  But wow, I was able to do it.  And I am able to be there next week for the ceremony.

How sad it would be if I missed these important milestones in my childrens' lives.  And how happy I am that I am able to actively participate in all that is important to them.  To see the smile on my girl's face when her brother handed her a bouquet of flowers and gave her a kiss telling her that she was "awesome."  It just made my heart swell.  And, I got to be there for it.



Oh, and I did get to sit in the audience for Sunday's Showcase!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked