On Inspiration

Inspiring is an interesting word. It’s a word that people have used recently to describe me. It is not a word that I would use to describe myself.
I was in a car accident on October 11, 2013. I was taken to Shock Trauma where I underwent a bunch of surgeries. I had a lot of complications – too numerous to list here, but let’s just say I had some brain stuff and some hand stuff. I still have some issues – still need hand therapy and the hearing in my left ear is almost gone. But, I have beaten the odds. I am functioning at almost full capacity. I am not dead or brain dead – both of which were a higher likelihood than what has happened.
So, what has happened? Well, I spent four weeks in Shock Trauma, and another 10 days at Sinai Inpatient Rehab. I worked with physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, and a huge array of doctors and other medical professionals.
Each day I get better. Each day I am incredibly grateful for what I’ve been given – time with my kids, parents who stopped their lives to help take care of me, a brother who did the same, a huge number of friends, co-workers, clients, a number of faith communities, and past acquaintances that have given me support through this journey, and of course the aforementioned doctors, therapists, and medical professionals without whom I would no longer exist.
This has been an amazing journey. There are things that I miss – my hair and my hearing to name a couple. There are things I’m glad I have back – my driving privileges (therefore my freedom) and almost full range of motion in my hand. And, there are things that I am glad I never lost, but could have – my brain function. Through it all, I have remained positive. I like to think of myself as a positive person with a realistic outlook. I see the glass as half-full, but I’m not wearing rose-colored glasses. I understand what can and will happen realistically.
I also understand that a lot of this recovery is going to take time and hard work. I have and will continue to work hard because my recovery is important to me, my family, my friends, and my doctors. I could not have gotten through this without some luck, but I also know I could not get through this without hard work, support, and a lot of determination. I am lucky that I have all those things. I may not be good as new, but I am sure going to be as close to that as I can!
So, am I inspiring? I don’t know. I guess if someone hears my story and then works hard to defy their own odds, then maybe. I hope that happens.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked