On Owning Every Second



I have been really loving the OneRepublic song, "I Lived." If you haven't heard the song or seen the video, check it out.

The video highlights a boy with cystic fibrosis. Despite having to fight to breathe, this boy is determined to live his life to the fullest and to do everything he wants to do.
 
The boy's story is inspiring, as is the song, even without the boy's story attached.

This song has motivated quite a bit of personal reflection: on my own life, and on my hopes for my children.

The line that has been seriously stuck in my head is "I've owned every second that this world could give..."  Have I? Probably not every second, but no one is perfect.

In the past, this was less important. It is easy to get caught up in the habit of life - the ritual of the mundane. Recent experiences have opened my eyes.  In the past, I have taken things for granted, from how I have let days pass me by without really being present, to how my behavior impacts my children.

Moving forward, my intention will be to leave it all on the field, especially in the important areas of life - family, friends, work. I've never been the type of person to half-ass anything I deem worth doing, but perhaps I could also focus more on the little things - the things that I know I would regret no longer be able to do.
 
A life filled with experiences is a much better life than one just filled with stuff. Interestingly, while I tend to be cautious by nature, I refuse to live my life hampered by fear. While it is unlikely that I will act without considering the consequences, I will practice what I tell my children when they are faced with something that causes them fear - know what you are getting into, take a deep breath, put on your brave face, and do it anyway, even if you're scared.

And for my children? Well, I want them to live their lives owning every second. Unfortunately, this isn't something you can teach in any other way than by example. So, I shall be that example. I will show them how full my life is because I own every second and I will demonstrate that it is okay to be afraid and to do it anyway. I frequently share with them times that I am afraid, and I share with them my response to my fear - that I put on my brave face and do it anyway.

I want my children to be able to look back and to say about me and about themselves "...with every broken bone, I swear, I lived." I want to know that I put my heart and soul into everything that matters. I want my children to know that I have, and I want them to do the same.

And what about you? Are you owning every second? Is your life filled with experiences that make it full. Are you putting your heart and soul into what matters. If not, listen to that song. You might just start thinking about your own life a little differently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked