On the New Year

The New Year is my favorite holiday. I cannot begin to tell you the number of happy memories I have of New Years as a kid, with my friend Kelly and her mom, banging pots and pans together screaming "Happy New Year" at the top of our lungs at the ball drop. From the time we were in elementary school, up until we were seniors in high school, every year had that same element. It was fantastic and I cannot wait to share that tradition with my children.

While it is true that those memories have made New Years special for me, what I actually like the best is the concept of a new year, a new beginning... starting a new chapter of life with a blank page.

For someone, like myself, who loves the challenge of creating certainty out of chaos, what could possibly be a better holiday? At the beginning, there is no certainty. It is all fresh. It all has potential to be molded into my own brand of certainty. There is only possibility.

I realize that not everything will happen as I plan. In fact, it rarely does. But, that doesn't mean I don't keep trying. And, although I would be more comfortable knowing that everything was going to turn out as I expect, at this time of year, I am much more open to the excitement of not knowing and I have confidence in my ability to work with what happens. Isn't the possibility of what I could make happen more exciting than anything?

And so, I wish each of you a Happy New Year. May 2015 be filled with love, life, good fortune, family, friends, gratitude, and an openness to possibility.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked