On Being Wonder Woman

I am going to ask you to use your imagination. Picture a four or five year old girl with blonde hair, a wide smile, and a huge imagination. If you're having trouble with a reference point, picture Alli. That's pretty close.

Alli (Age 5)
When I was four or five years old, I owned a pair of Wonder Woman Underoos. Truth be told, I was a little jealous of my friend, Kelly, because she had the Super Girl Underoos and I thought they were kinda cooler. But, once I got over the jealousy thing, I committed to the role.

Let me be clear: I did not just pretend to be Wonder Woman. I actually BELIEVED I was Wonder Woman, with my whole heart and soul. I was strong, brave, and true. I was willing to go to battle against all that was bad in the world. I was determined. I had a purpose and my purpose was to do good, no matter what. And, fortunately for me, my parents did not try hard to convince me otherwise. I may not have had an invisible jet, but in every way that mattered, I was Wonder Woman.

Let's fast forward 30+ years and think about what I learned from BEING Wonder Woman. I learned determination. I learned that strength was a good thing to have, and I had it.  I learned what it meant to have a purpose. And, I learned what it meant to work hard for something that matters. These lessons carried me through some really tough times.

During my accident recovery process, it never once occurred to me, with all that was stacked against me, that things wouldn't turn out in a good way.

My hand surgeon thought I'd never have use of my left hand again. That didn't deter me - I just worked harder in therapy. It may not be perfect, but I am typing this blog.

My neuro-interventional radiologist said that the surgery for repairing my aneurysm would surely cause a severe stroke, and there was a strong likelihood that I was never going to be the same. Again, that didn't deter me.

See, I didn't believe them. I believed me - I believed what was inside of me that wanted to fight for every opportunity to improve.

Perhaps I was naive, or maybe it was because I was on a good bit of pain medication and not really knowing what was going on, but I don't really think so. I think it was my inner Wonder Woman coming out.

My friend, Tara, frequently reminded me that all super heroes were born of adversity. She had a good point, my best interest at heart, and a great way of reminding me to believe in myself.

This Christmas, my mom, using her own multi-talents, knitted me a sweater and she and my dad wrote me a poem.

Our girl, Carrie, gave us a fright
For many day and many a night.
We almost forgot her beginning role.
When she played it again, it made her whole.



So, I may not actually BE Wonder Woman, but you might have a hard time arguing that point with anyone who's seen me in action.

Now, I'm off to go do some good in the world. Feel free to join me. The Justice League can always use more super heroes. Oh, and has anyone seen my jet?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked