On Laughing My Way Through

One of the first memories I have from the hospital is my friend, Jeremy, visiting.  This wasn't the first time Jeremy visited, but it was the first time I remembered.  What I remember is Jeremy making fun of my hair. (It was half-shaved/half-not because of the emergency need to get a drain in and reduce the swelling in my head).  My hair did not look good. I knew this. No one else even acknowledged it.  Jeremy, however, made fun of it.  And, I remember feeling so grateful because he treated me like me, not like some fragile, sad, accident victim.  That was refreshing, especially considering the circumstances.

Sporting the half-shaved/half-long look, not to mention the awesome collar and arm splint

Part of the reason Jeremy and I get along so well is that we both tend to crack jokes when we feel uncomfortable.  We try to lighten the mood of the situation. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it makes people even more uncomfortable.

I make jokes about the weird stuff that has happened to me as a result of my accident.  Some people laugh right along with me, and others feel really uncomfortable.  I am sorry that I've made more than a few people uncomfortable with my brand of humor, but I look at it this way, if I don't laugh about this craziness and appreciate the weird stuff for what it is, then I'll start to feel sorry for myself and be miserable to be around. Trust me in saying, no one wants that!

So, I'll share a story: Just last weekend Emily and Henry came to visit. We went to the pool.  Em and I were chatting about something when Alli interrupted.  The conversation went like this:

Alli:  Excuse me mom.
Me: Alli, Emily is talking right now, you shouldn't interrupt.
Alli:  But mom, it is really interesting.
Emily (laughing good-naturedly): Because clearly, whatever Emily was saying wasn't interesting at all.
Alli: I mean really interesting!
Me:  OK Alli, what is it?
Alli: Mom, did you know that you have two belly buttons?!
Me: Well, it does look like I have two belly buttons, but one of them is a scar from my food tube from when I was in the accident.
Emily:  Actually, she's right - they both functioned the exact same way. (I love that Em pointed this out - and appreciate that Em laughs at the weird stuff too!)
Me (trying to hold in my laughter):  Em, you're right. Alli, you're also right - I have two belly buttons.

I tell this story because I figure I could have handled the situation in one of two ways:
  • Option 1:  I could have thrown on a shirt, looked around to see if anyone else had heard the conversation (it wasn't quiet), been embarrassed and uncomfortable, and refused to go back to the pool for the rest of the summer unless I was covered from head to toe.
  • Option 2:  I could have laughed, been comfortable with myself as I am (two belly buttons and all) and moved on.
I chose Option 2.  Seriously, how can you not find that situation funny!  I can only imagine a few of you are cringing right now, feeling incredibly uncomfortable that I shared this.  But, take heart, I laugh because I can. Although what happened to me was serious, the worst didn't happen.  I'm still me.  I have an extra belly button, but for all intents and purposes, I'm still me.  And because I'm me, I'll keep on laughing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked