On Bravery

I have always been the type of person who faces big fears head on - the larger it is, the scarier it seems, I go all-in and just get it over with.

But, I have to admit that the less-scary things, the ones where I was unsure of how to proceed - those, I didn't often do. I'd analyze the situation, come to the conclusion that perhaps the risk wasn't worth the reward and I wouldn't do it. And, often, I'd find myself disappointed in my lack of bravery, in missing the experience.

This year, though, I am working on being more brave. It isn't that I don't still analyze the situation, because I definitely do. Now though, once I've checked to see that there is actually water in the pool, I'm much more likely to jump in without knowing the exact depth or what could be lurking at the bottom. 

For me, this means that things I've thought about doing and have been unsure of - like traveling by myself or learning new things - I'm just going to go ahead and do it. It means that I'm volunteering to be the guinea pig, even if it makes me super-uncomfortable. It means that I'm reaching out to people and offering my help if I think there is some way that I could be of value, even when I'm questioning my sanity relative to finding myself in a situation I would normally avoid.

See, here's what I know - there are worse things that can happen than being embarrassed, or getting lost, or being uncomfortable. I survived worse. I can certainly survive these little things. And why not experience as much as I possibly can while I'm here.

I may not naturally be a risk taker, but I am becoming one. Does this mean that I will throw all caution to the wind and do whatever without understanding the consequences? Not a chance. I will always understand the consequences. I am just more likely to not think them quite as big of a deal as I would have two years ago.

It isn't that I am no longer afraid - I probably am. But, if the risk isn't life or death, and there's a reward in the action, then I'm probably going to do it anyway, despite my fear. And, I'm going to have a lot of fun while I'm at it. Isn't the biggest reward to riskier ventures the fun in the experience?

I can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On The Family I Picked

On Love and Loss