On The Kindness Campaign

I believe that people come into our lives for a reason. A person may come and go quickly, or may travel with us for a lifetime. It doesn't matter. Each person is significant in unique ways.

Life is short (trust me, I got this hint in a big way) and we don't always share the positive things that we think of others because we take for granted that there is always another day. So, in that spirit, I decided to start a kindness campaign.

For this past month of March, each day, I chose a new person to send five things that I like about him/her. For the recipients of my five things, I have challenged them to spend one week doing the same - to choose a new person each day and send him/her five things they like about him/her. Small things or large, it doesn't matter.

My intentions are not all selfless. It is true that I wanted to make people feel good by allowing them to know what I like about them. And, I also did it so that I would feel good. I feel amazing when I make others feel good. I wish more people understood this. It is such a simple concepts, and it is one that could change the world.

I did not start doing this with the expectation that I would receive anything back. The thought behind it was really just to pass it along, keep the kindness going, and feel good knowing that I may have brightened someone's day. However, I have received several messages with five things that the individuals I chose, like about me. Wow! I can't tell you how humbling, heart-filling, and just plain lovely these things have been to receive. I hope others have felt the same.

Everyone deserves to hear something good about themselves. Shouldn't we all stop every once in a while, take a deep breath, and focus on what really matters - the people in our lives. And, shouldn't we do it when we have the chance - like now?

So, since I know I haven't gotten to everyone (at least not in March), I am going to write five things I like about you, my blog readers:
  1. I like that you read my blog, like it on Facebook, share it with others, and comment on it.
  2. I like that you have shown kindness and have supported me in this journey, not just once I started writing the blog, but many of you followed along on my mom's Caring Bridge posts. Thank you. Your support has buoyed me and I am beyond grateful.
  3. I like that many of you share your own stories as part of your comments - especially when that comment is admitting you like Taylor Swift too. :)
  4. I like that you encourage me to keep writing.
  5. I like knowing that so many people care so much.
And now that you have received your five things, take a week and send five things to the people who mean something to  you: one person, each day. It doesn't take long, and it will make at least eight people feel good - the seven you choose, and you.

I am so lucky in so many ways. And, I hope this idea brings you some joy, either in receiving five things that I like about you, or in passing along five things you like about someone else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked