On Opportunities

My accident has opened doors for me that I may not have opened myself. It also allowed me to be less afraid to open those doors, to peek in, and then, maybe even to walk in and see what happens. Perhaps, when you know what could have happened, it shifts perspective a bit on the things that do happen.

I have had the opportunity to slow down. Anyone who knows me, knows that I rarely slow down. And I was definitely forced into it this time, but it has been good. It has allowed me to see what is truly important, rather than just urgent.

I have had an opportunity to spend time with my children this summer. I understand how much they need me, and how much I need them. And while I always knew they were important, I know even more that love and attention are key to helping them understand and use the tools at their disposal for success.

I have had an opportunity to push my body further in my determination for health and fitness. Yeah, I had to start over a bit. My muscles, when I first returned to the gym, were more like overcooked spaghetti than anything that could pedal a bike or lift a free weight. But, with time, continued hard work, and determination, I got it all back (well, maybe not my balance, but whatever - I'm still working on that).

And, I've had validation of the good things I was doing.  I know that being healthy, both with food and exercise, helped me in my recovery process. I know that my determination and positivity has also helped me recover. I know that the acknowledgement of disappointments has also been good. Yes, it totally sucks that I won't ever be able to hear again out of my left ear or make a fist with my left hand. But, I'm alive and otherwise functional. There are worse things.

So now, what are the opportunities in front of me? They are endless. I may not be the greatest at calculus, physics, or field hockey, but I know that if I am inclined to work hard, I'm also inclined to achieve - even if it isn't in the way I exactly expected. And, it is with this in mind, that I continue to move forward - to set goals, to work hard, and to achieve.

Here's my success formula (it's helped me so far, so maybe it'll help you, too):
  1. Determine a goal and the reason behind it.  What do you want and why do you want it? Without clearly understanding this, it is super-easy to quit before you get anywhere near success.
  2. Work hard. Don't quit. Even when you really want to quit, remind yourself of the goal and the reason behind it (see the reason why #1 is important).
  3. Celebrate successes. No matter how small or insignificant something might seem to the outside world, if you are proud of yourself, then be proud. If you feel like you achieved something, then you did. Don't miss the amazing small things by looking only for the big things.
  4. Set another goal and keep going. One success can lead to another. Don't stop. Keep going. You've succeeded once, so there is no reason why you won't succeed again. 
And one other thing: While some opportunities come about because of circumstance, most you have to make yourself. Don't be afraid to make opportunities. Don't be afraid to open those doors and walk through. It can be scary, but it can also mean the difference between just living or living an amazing life. Choose amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On The Family I Picked

On Love and Loss