On Being Kind

Anyone can be nice.  Nice, to me, equates with being polite. If you've been taught basic manners, you can be nice. You may not, deep-down, believe how your acting, but you can fake it and be nice.

I am not always nice. In fact, I have a snarky side. Many of you have seen it. Sometimes I get irritable and grouchy and say things that I don't really mean in the broad view, but probably mean at the time I am saying them. My brother, over many years of growing up and sibling drama, has been the receiver of my snarkiness more than perhaps any other human being on the planet.

But, that being said, one thing I strive for, is to be kind. I can't say I am always kind in every situation, but my general intention in life is to be kind.

Kindness is different than niceness. To be kind is to be genuine in your concern for others; to really care about their pain, their success, their life.

Kindness doesn't mean you don't get angry. Kindness doesn't mean you don't do stupid things sometimes that hurt others. Kindness does, however, mean trying to go through life considering not just yourself, but the bigger picture and other people.

Kindness is giving others grace, understanding that their unhappy mood likely has nothing to do with you, even though you've ended up the scapegoat. And, kindness is understanding that if their unhappy mood was caused by you, there is an opportunity to correct a misdeed, a miscommunication, or a mistake.

It was kindness that I was shown by my family and friends during my time in the hospital. It was kindness that I was shown by complete strangers that prayed for me and wished me well. It was kindness that allowed two people to stop at my accident scene, despite torrential downpours, to just be with Emily and I as we waited for ambulances.* It was kindness that allowed my doctors to get so invested in me that they were able to accomplish the impossible.  It was the kindness of others that I give a lot of credit to for my recovery.

And, it is with kindness, that I hope to continue my life. This, perhaps above all else, is the biggest lesson I want to teach my children (by example) - that other people matter. They matter in unexpected ways and by being kind, we can see those ways - we can be touched far beyond right now; it can carry us through to who we will be.

An act of kindness can be small or it can be large. It doesn't matter the size. What matters is that it is genuine and from the heart.

I ask you to think about your own life right now - who in your life might need a little help? Who should you reach out to just because you care?  Now, do it.

If you're worried that you haven't been kind throughout your life and wonder if it's too late to start now, I can promise you that it isn't.  Kindness can make up for past mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Learning from them is how we succeed. And starting to treat people with kindness now will help everyone you come in contact with in the future.

See, kindness is an amazing thing - it not only makes those around you feel good, but it makes you feel good too. Spread it every chance you get. Life is short - do what you can to make it great for you and for those around you.


*I don't actually remember the two people that stopped to be with us at the accident scene, but Emily told me about them. I wish I knew who they were so that I could personally say thank you. They made a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On The Family I Picked

On Love and Loss