On Feminism

Feminism seems to be a topic in the news lately - or at least in the social media news. Whether it be Beyonce or Emma Watson, gender equality is becoming a popular topic yet again. I think this is a good thing. Gender equality is a necessary topic. Women, as a whole, are still being underpaid and given fewer opportunities. And, I am a feminist. This doesn't mean I hate men or feel that men shouldn't be well paid or given opportunities - I don't and they should, but it should be based on merit, and not on gender.

Let me back up and say that I believe that there is inequality past gender, including: race, ethnicity, marriage, etc. And, I believe that this should change and that all people should be treated equally; pay and opportunity should be based on merit, and not on gender, skin color, or religious beliefs. People should be allowed to love whomever they choose and should be able to create a family using their own definition. But, as I can only personally speak to being a woman, that is what this blog will focus on.

It seems as though I was brought into this world to grow up a feminist. To give you some history, let's start with my grandmother: In a time when few women worked outside of the home, my grandmother was a nurse at Salisbury College (now University). She believed in education for women and she believed in reproductive rights. She often passed out condoms to her students to prevent unwanted pregnancies. As you can imagine, this was highly controversial at the time. What I remember, though, is my grandmother telling me throughout my life: "Other women fought for your right to vote, to have a voice; when you turn 18 and have your chance, don't squander it - VOTE! Use your voice."

And, there's my mom. I don't think she ever intended to be a feminist role model, but she was. My mom always wanted to be a nurse. When I was quite young, she went back to school to do just that. She worked hard and did what she set out to do. Once she became a nurse, she worked crazy shifts, nights and doubles, so that, for the most part, she could also be home for me and my brother after school.  My mom goes through life with the confidence of someone who knows what she wants, and knows how to get it. And, she allowed me the belief that I could do it all too.

And then, there's my dad. My dad has always supported my mom in all of her hopes and dreams. He encouraged her to go back to school. He took care of the kids and the house while she was in school or while she was doing shift work. It may have not been easy for them at the time, but he knew it was important, and made it work. And, he always believed that I could do whatever I wanted, showed pride in my achievements, encouraged me along the way.

Perhaps it isn't an intentional role model thing, but my parents are an example of what an equal partnership is. Their influence meant that it never occurred to me that I couldn't do whatever I set out to do; that as long as I work hard, and put in the time, I can achieve it. This has been true. And, I still believe it.

However, I also believe that I have had to work just a bit harder than my male counterparts. I have no doubt that I have the merit, but somehow, it was just a bit easier for the guys around me; somehow they received just a few more opportunities. They were given the opportunities, and I had to fight for them. Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of opportunities in my life - for each, I am grateful. And, I've fought to make my opportunities a reality. I'm okay with that. I don't mind working hard for what I want.

But, what's my hope for my own daughter? Well, my hope is that she understands that women have fought and continue to fight to have a voice, to have equal opportunities, and to be paid equally as well. I want her to understand the history, but I also want her to be given opportunities and pay based on her merit. I want her to work hard, and to understand that working hard is necessary in order to achieve, but I don't want her to have to work harder for the same job as her male counterparts. I want it to be equal.

And for her brother (my son)? Well, I want him to support the women in his life. I want him to believe that the women around him can and should have every opportunity. I want him to believe that everyone in this country can work hard and achieve great things. I want him to work hard and achieve great things. And, I want him to encourage others to do the same.

Also, I want them both to fight against inequality of all kinds. I want feminism to be a necessity of the past - to be a historical datapoint. I want inequality in general to be a historical datapoint. Do I believe we've made progress? - Yes, absolutely. Do I believe there is still progress to be made? - Yes, absolutely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On Love and Loss

On The Family I Picked