On Anniversaries... Part 3


How does three years go by so quickly, and yet contain a lifetime worth of changes?

As most of you know, three years ago, on October 11th, Emily and I hydroplaned into the back of a tractor trailer. I was driving. Weather made it an unfortunately unavoidable accident. Fortunately for me, I do not remember the accident or the immediate aftermath.

What I do remember from that time three years ago, is the kindness and caring that surrounded me: from family and friends, from medical staff and strangers, from people I barely knew that I now consider family. That kindness sustained me in some very difficult times. I will always be in awe of and completely amazed that my life meant so much that others exhibited such unwaivering and unending support.

Although I do not tend to focus on the accident or even the lingering challenges I face, I think it is important to mark this day as one of significance.  Because, this may have been a very bad day three years ago, and I may have had many more weeks of very bad days, but I can't overlook the wonderful things that have occurred as a result.

If I hadn't been in that car accident, and survived, I wouldn't have a clue how strong I could be. My children wouldn't have an example of resilience, perseverance, and determination. I wouldn't be able to watch them grow, learn, and change on a daily basis. I wouldn't have this amazingly strong friendship with Emily - one that I know will survive pretty much anything (because it kinda did). I wouldn't know that an entire extra family is in my corner, cheering me on. I wouldn't know what it means to be able to rely on friends and family and have them come through for me, day-after-day. I wouldn't be able to give back that kind of dedication to others. I wouldn't be where I am... in my career... in my life... if I hadn't lived through that very bad day.

And so, I am grateful. I do not want to ever take for granted what I've been given... what I've been shown. I want to continue to live my life celebrating each anniversary of the day I didn't die as I celebrate the day of my birth - with joy and gratitude that I am alive, living the exact life I was meant to live.

The First Two Years
So thank you to the staff at Shock Trauma for doing your jobs so exceptionally well. I know that every single one of you put your hearts and souls into what you do. You all make a difference, no matter what your job in the hospital. I'll see some of you tomorrow for my CAT Scan (that I am very glad isn't a cerebral angiogram this year).

Thank you to the friends and family who stood by my side each day, supporting me with love and caring.

Thank you to the strangers and mere aquaintenances that stopped their busy lives to say a prayer for me.

This Year
And thank you to Emily for celebrating with me. Once again, I am so glad that we are able to celebrate this milestone together - that we are alive to do so, and that we'll keep celebrating each year to come.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Hardest Thing Ever

On The Family I Picked

On Love and Loss